Monday, February 28, 2011

monday - 4 days and some change

5 days, or to get technical, 4 days and 20 hours. this morning i informed my spin class that today's class would be more moderate and wednesday even more so. surprisingly, i heard no complaints! we still had a good class and it really helped give my legs a bit of loosening up that they needed.
today, my mind is focused on my diet, keeping what i take in this week healthy, and the calories smart. i keep telling myself, you can let loose saturday and and maybe sunday! so, i know i can do it this week. for the last couple of months, i've been really dedicated to my diet. i have been keeping a log of what i eat as well as the approximate caloric intake. it's been difficult at times, but once i started seeing the positive results, it got much easier.
i think the key to any successful daily diet is allowing moderate splurges here and there, and the focus being moderate. we've all heard the phrase 'everything in moderation' and well, it's true. i couldn't have made the progress i have made without my moderate splurges. i allow one cheat meal a week and then back on track, which for me makes it much easier to get through the week. keep in mind my cheat meals are relative to what i did in training that day. an 18-20 mile run might allow a mugshots burger or a full breakfast with pancakes from cracker barrel. 10-14 miles might only allow a few chips or a few fries with a healthy sandwich or something sweet. i love to eat bad foods as much as anyone, but i've learned that there is no place for it in a lifestyle of training or exercising on a regular basis. plus, it's just not good for you.
ok, i'm stepping on my soap box. as i watch people go through daily activity, i've noticed that someone's diet is much like their exercise. i see folks in the gym just going through the motions - improper form, low intensity, and short sessions. i see folks at restaurants ordering a salad - fattening dressing, cheese, bacon, croutons, and bread on the side. just because you are on an exercise machine doesn't mean you are getting a quality exercise session and just because you order a salad doesn't mean it's healthy. and what i've learned over the years is just because you run doesn't mean you're fit. a very skinny friend of mine once told me, in an answer to my question of why was she was only on a 2.0 on the treadmill, "this feels much better and is easier." as i tell my spin class often, if it was easy, everyone would do it. that applies to anything in life that challenges you to grow - whether it be diet, exercise, education, or just in general daily life. ok, stepping off my soap box.
in a little while i'll go fix my turkey sandwich on whole grain bread and eat one serving of pretzels with it. and i'll love it, because it's marathon week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment