Friday, April 22, 2011

week 3 - ups and downs

i haven't written in about a week so i figured it was time to give an update. i've been doing a good bit of running and even more school work, which is why i haven't had time to post. it's the end of the semester which means final projects due very soon. also means i'll have a few weeks of NO SCHOOL very soon!!!

i'm in my third week of training, and still so far so good! but i did have my first rough patch. last saturday was my usual long run at an easy pace and sunday was a slow recovery run, which i did on my own here in petal. monday, my legs felt great in spin, and i was very confident for my speed session on tuesday. i woke up tuesday to warm, muggy air, so i knew i'd need all that feel good my legs had to offer. the legs and body felt good, but i struggled to breath. my workout was 5 x 1 mile repeats at 7:50. they were tough, but i completed all of them on pace. 9 miles total for the workout.

wednesday in spin my legs told a different story. fatigue. the warm, muggy air makes everything different, and harder. i started to feel a bit of worry for thursday's tempo run - because of how i felt and the warm weather. i was totally off my game thursday morning, even forgetting to bring some water. and i realized during the first mile that my garmin settings were not right. i felt ok during the warmup, but i just knew i was tired and knew the workout was going to be tough, however, i was ready to give it my all. we started the tempo, and it was rough, but i stayed with it hoping the speed would come. it didn't. i was fighting too hard to maintain. i took a couple of breaks around 2 and 4 miles, and after the 5th mile, i decided to pull the plug. maybe i should have pulled the plug earlier, because each mile got slower and slower. i took one more short walk break during the 'cool down' mile, and soon after it was over. i left the workout with only small amounts of disappointments. i knew my previous workouts had all been right on point, and with the extreme changes in weather, this is often what to expect.

today i'm enjoying a full day of rest after sleeping in! i'm also going to enjoy a recovery week next week of easy miles. i will get one of these gems after three weeks of intensity. my hope is that i will begin adjusting to the warmer temps, and remind myself that conquering the summer will make me stronger in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job I would not look at it as a setback. With the change in weather we flirted a little close to the edge. We have that defined now. There will be ups and downs (mostly ups).

    Enjoy next week (it is not a cake walk by any means) and you have lived to tackle the tempo another day.

    ReplyDelete