Tuesday, May 10, 2011

it's getting hot in herr

i agree with james, summertime has returned, and no i'm not happy about it. for most of us, even though we live in warmer climates most of the time, running in the heat is difficult. for the rest of us, it's even more than difficult. i would take 20 degrees any day over a 80 degree morning or a 95 degree afternoon. i abolustely despise running in the heat.



we were lucky last week with some 40 degree mornings. even on saturday it was a lovely 50-something degrees for my tempo run. and it made for a great run. well, that and the fact that i felt great. i had to be at work at 7:30, so terri was the glutton for punishment that met me to do the workout. my tempo was a 1 mile warm-up, 6 at 8:30 tempo pace, and a mile cool-down. my legs felt really good as soon as we started. i got on pace quickly and stayed there. it was ideal. for 6 miles, it was pretty much dead on. me and the garmin are becoming very well connected. it was a great run.


sunday, i expected my recovery to be really tough because as soon as i got done with my tempo on saturday, i showered, dressed and went to work immediately, no breaks. i was on my feet from 7:30 to about 2, and i was beyond exhausted when i got home, and this was after working about 12 hours on friday too. however, on sunday, for as stiff and as stove up as i was, i felt really good during the 6 miles. again, dead on with pace and i wasn't even trying on that one. again, me and garmin, bff's.


monday is rest from running, and i teach my spin class. we had a small group, just 3, so we just rode and chatted. it was just what the doctor ordered. my lower back was bothering me yesterday, so i doped up and by the evening, it was much better. i was beyond sleepy so i got to bed early and was ready for the speed session this morning. gone were the cool temps and back were the hot, humid temps. after my warm-up, i was already drenched! they were tough today. as i told james, there was no way around this being hard. i did what i knew i had to do, which was just suck it up and do it. and i did. terri and chris did the first 3 with me, and then i was on my own. that fourth one was the toughest, and it wasn't because i was alone. it was because it was 73 degrees and i was depleting. my legs felt great, but my breathing was very difficult and my body felt like it was draggng a concrete block. we are not adjusted to the temps and higher humidity so during this process of adjustment, james had told me that i had to decide if i needed to ease up 15 or 20 seconds on my paces, and that thought crossed my mind many times during the workout. i didn't, and the whole time, i was wondering if that was a mistake. i'll find out thursday when i do my long run. i took longer recoveries in between, probably of about 7 minutes instead of the usual 5 or 5 1/2. that seemed to help. on that last one, i just said, ok, go. and then it was over. the cool down was very tough, and i walked at the beginning for a minute and even at the half for about 30 seconds. i couldn't have sweated more today. it was ridiculous. but i made it...7:50, 7:49, 7:48, 7:54, and 7:51.


the summer will be tough, no matter how you look at it. it's just how it is here, however, i plan on doing all i can to kick its butt.

1 comment:

  1. We will get acclimated to the heat (some). It will not make it easier but we will be a faster!

    ReplyDelete