Thursday, May 12, 2011

trample the weak, hurdle the dead

the old saying goes 'never say never', and i have learned that it's true. i said once, years ago, i'd never run a marathon. i've now done 11. i said i would never go back to school. i'm currently working on a master's degree. i probably said i'd never get a tattoo. i have one. so now i just don't use this phrase because i have learned that anything is possible.

yesterday, another 'never' came back to get me. i once said i would never run the tupelo marathon. yesterday at 11:30 a.m., i signed up for the 2011 tupelo marathon. my running crew and i had decided a few months ago that we were going to do it, so i knew once it was time to sign up, i would. so what changed my mind? i have no idea! i think it's a new challenge. the race is september 3, the hottest time of the year. it's hilly. and it starts in the dark at 5 a.m. i'm not afraid of the dark. hills don't really scare me that bad. but the 80 degree temps with 90 something % humidity at a race start does! it's ridiculous. this is not my goal race so it will be just a go run well and have fun kind of day. well, more like a run the best that i can kind of day. no way around it, we will have fun somewhere in there - most likely before and after the race, and not during. if you're near me during the run, ignore the words coming out of my mouth and terri, don't take it personally. :)

i have the best motivated running partners and a great coach and mentors so the pieces are there for me to survive this. AND i'll get the cool shirt and coveted medal!

4 comments:

  1. I have talked with Terry Lawhead about this race in the past - yes - it will be HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! I was just telling Jen yesterday, how just a few years ago I thought anyone who ran the Renaissance half in June, or the Tupelo marathon in Sept. were totally insane. I guess we've gone to the CRAZY side! Tupelo will be fun, and for me, it's worth the trip to eat at Vanelli's again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is going to be HOT but you can more than survive it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds great! (in a horribly hot kind of way:)

    ReplyDelete